Sunday, January 4, 2009

Rcap of Sunday, January 4

Today we switched friends as we bade farwell to David & Sommer over breakfast at Kona Cafe (Tonga Toast!) and then joined Jeff, Sheila, and their kids Morgan and Austin at the Animal Kingdom. (The Animal Kingdom appears to be our friend pick-up joint this trip.)

We got up early to make our breakfast reservations. I drove over to Animal Kingdom Lodge to check us in while Jim packed up Saratoga Springs. I'll have comments on the switch to Animal Kingdom Villas later, but I'm still not pleased with the responsiveness of the front desk staff there. I still love the resort, and the rest of the staff are wonderful, but the front desk always seems understaffed so the lines build and what should be short process takes much more time than expected.

Anyway, we ate breakfast at Kona. It's Jim's and my special place as it was the site of our first Disney meal together in 2003. We don't get there for breakfast as often, but I love their breakfasts, and this was the first time we got to try Tonga Toast. Basically, each two slices of french toast with a banana mix in the middle covered in syrup and strawberry compote. Yummy. Discretion prevailed and we split one while each having our own fruit cup, which we also could have split!

Afterward, we pin shopped for a few minutes and then headed over to Animal Kingdom to catch up with Jeff and his family. By the time we got there, they were finishing lunch at Pizzafari and wanted to wander through Maharajah Jungle Trek. We spent so much time catching up, I only vaguely remember the animals! The kids were quite sharp and enteraining, too.

Afterward, we went to see Finding Nemo: The Musical and then saw "It's Tough To Be A Bug" before heading over for the Kilimanjaro Safari. They had already been on the safari early in the morning, which is good because the animals were quite invisible this time around.

After a little shopping, we headed over to the Animal Kingdom Lodge for dinner at Boma. Jeff and Sheila were quite impressed with the Lodge and the food, which was as good as always. After they left, we unpacked our room and are now contemplating what tomorrow will bring. As long as we decide on a plan before bed time, I'll be happy.

More comments on Boma later. It was great, but I just don't have time to write up a mini-review right now.

peace, love, and Mickey . . .


Danny and Jackie said...

we're faithfully devouring your every post Dirk. But- have you ridden any mountains yet? Are you planning on eating at Yak & Yeti. it wasn't finished last time we visited. Keep up the good work- it's a hard life but someone has to do it : )

Debbie Churchill said...

I can't help noticing that you haven't gotten around to visiting The Wave yet. Please try to make the time before you leave for home - it was our stand-out find during our trip in November. We'd deliberately kept our expectations fairly low, but we loved it. Our first visit was for lunch on a Magic Kingdom day. The place was dead, so we decided to forego our ADR in the restaurant and just ate lunch at the bar where we were entertained by Alan, the charming bar tender (previously at Territory Lounge and the Pop pool bar). We enjoyed it so much we returned for dinner the following week and chose, again, to sit at the bar. This time it was humming. It's a beautiful space and, rare at WDW, a proper "grown-ups" bar. Don't be put off by the seemingly "healthy" menu - everything we ate was delicious.